Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Low-key images

Thought I'd try some low-key shots today. I switched to spot-metering and concentrated the exposure reading on the light values that still retain subject detail. I wanted to shift mid-tones into shadow areas. Here are some of the better ones. Still not as good as I had hoped, but at least, for the first time, I actually messed around with the settings on my camera and got close to the results I wanted. Would have been better if my son Benjamin hadn't been wearing a yellow shirt, but I am starting to learn that, although good sports and generally indulgent, the rest of my family isn't necessarily as enthusiastic about my new hobby as I am. Fair enough.

1 comments:

Jan December 15, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

Nice photos, Michael! I really like the composition of the b&w Helen. You're really talented! It's fun to me that you're so excited about photography because I know you from work and not from photo classes :)

I think that you should really get a grey card! They help so much with metering because they'll make sure your camera knows what a true grey is and won't make whatever you're pointing at grey. Like, if you're taking photos of snow, your camera will want to make your snow grey and then your whole photo will be underexposed. If you have a grey card, it will fix that. They're like $4 or something like that. They're fun to play with, too.

Just a thought as you're building up all of your fun photo equipment :)

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP