Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

Monday, January 5, 2009

Buffalo

Lately we have been having some amazing sunsets. So, last Saturday I decided to head out to Antelope Island (amazingly patient family in tow) to take some photos. My idea was to get an amazing sunset with awesome reflections in the shallow smooth water that surrounds the causeway leading to the island. Shortly after paying the $9 admission fee to the park, however, I discovered that the shallow smooth water was frozen over and covered with some very non-reflective snow. Strike one. Next it became apparent that instead of a spectacular explosion of a sunset, all I was going to get was a soft, glowing, fizzle of a sunset (I'll post some photos later anyway since I stood out in the freezing cold to take them). Strike Two. Then we came across two very large buffalo only feet from the road. Home run. I quickly switched to my 300mm lens, jumped out of the car, and started creeping towards them. No fences, just me and the half-ton, horned brutes. They were mostly just rummaging in the snow looking for things to eat. They did look up at me a few times however which made for some great shots. I'm not sure why the snow covered grass in the foreground came out neon white. That's not bad touch-up work. That's just the way the camera recorded it, and I'm not savvy enough and don't have good enough software to get rid of it. Anyway, it was a very fun unexpected surprise.

Buffalo, Antelope Island, Utah

2 comments:

Robbie Wayment January 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Great picture!!

Sara Ann January 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

This is an awsome picture Mike! It looks like it could be in a gallery in Park City :)

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP