Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

Monday, February 23, 2009

Farmington Bay

I've been hearing lots of people talk about Farmington Bay recently and how may cool birds there are out there to photograph. So, last Saturday while the younger kids were napping and Helen was working on her lesson for Sunday, I took Matthew and Benjamin and we drove out to Farmington Bay to take some photos of bald eagles snatching fish out of the water.

I let the boys bring some binoculars so they wouldn't get too bored. After a few minutes, the boys figured out that staring at the empty blue sky, even through binoculars, ain't that great.

Photobucket

After awhile, the boy's ditched the binoculars. Benjamin kept himself entertained by playing with bones that he found (no doubt full of rabies and other dangerous germs) and climbing on the gates.

Photobucket


I kept myself entertained by photographing the plant life. I liked the golden glow on these backlit beauties.

Photobucket


Here are a few more. I just couldn't bring myself to take photographs of seagulls.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Eventually, Matthew had had enough and annouced that he was going back to the car.

Photobucket


As we were driving away, a hawk or at least a hawk-looking bird swooped down close enough to the car to allow me to get some photos. Image quality isn't great, because he was still a long way away, and I had to crop rather drastically in my image editing software, but at least I got a bird.



One more.

Photobucket


We drove a little farther, and I spotted a black and white speck sitting on a rock about a mile away. I stopped the car and took approximately fifty photos of the only bald eagle in the area that day. However, the eagle was just too far away, so unfortunately nothing post-worthy. (I even threw rocks in the water to try and get the eagle to take flight (don't worry he was well out of striking distance and probably hearing distance as well); if I'd had a fish or hot dog or anything, I would have waived it above my head to get the eagle to swoop in closer and attack me -- a few talon wounds would have been worth it for a great photo, but alas, I didn't even have that much luck).

As we were driving away we came across these bulldozers. It must have been all that thinking about birds and then seeing these bulldozers that reminded me of my all time favorite children's story Are You My Mother. I loved that story as a kid.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jan February 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

I really like your first two plant pictures, Michael. Those are very nice and soft looking. The blue in the second one is lovely.

The second one of the bird is my favorite. I love it when you can see individual feathers on the wing tips. They remind me of fingers when they do that.

That's fun that you took your boys with you but too bad it was so boring for them, haha. (That's really gross you let him pick up that bone!)

Aimee February 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

I LOVE the plant pictures. The light in them is just beautiful. You can almost feel the sun in those pictures. Great!

Jan March 9, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

What's the dealio with no posts lately, Monson?

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP